Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Atlas Master: Kaolin Tank Cars

N scale Kaolin Tank Cars from the Atlas Master Range.

After getting back into the Sandersville/Tennile MRR recently, the realisation came crashing down that I only had three pieces of rolling stock for the Sandersville industries I intended to model (some older Atlas, 4 - bay hoppers in ECC livery). Having sold some music gear recently, I decided to do a round of rolling stock purchasing using the proceeds.

My period is circa 1996(ish), when I first read about the SAN RR, to the present(ish). That's as accurate(ish) as I get and my approach to keeping to the 'mostly prototypical' aspect of my MRR is to allow for rolling stock and locos across this period. But really, if its a kaolin car of some description, it'll probably make on to the MRR.

But there's been a lot of change even during this period. Kaolin companies have been merged and sold off, old businesses have stopped being serviced by SAN and new ones have replaced them.

Recent Releases: a trio of SHPX - nice and industrial looking

I always envisioned long strings of white and black kaolin tank cars in the yards and kaolin plants on the MRR and found Atlas had just released a refreshed range of their Masters tank cars with suitably 'industrial' liveries (i.e. leasing companies in mostly white and black).

Recent Releases: can't get more industrial looking than ACFX

So, I ordered a few... well more than a few... from Atlas USA and they arrived promptly within a few weeks.

Recent Releases: Thiele tank cars for the intended Thiele plant, with Sandersville on them (bonus!)

These things are excellent. The molded detail is just amazing and the tiny, tiny, lettering is crisp and perfect on all nine of the cars I ordered.

Recent Releases: the detail is crisp and some parts are fairly delicate (so detailed my camera grains-up when getting close).
Recent Releases: the lettering is insanely crisp and clear. The lettering on the left is .42mm high. The lettering on the right is even smaller and just as crisp.

As for the weight, I didn't realise the cars came weighted and had spent hours on Mr Google trying to figure out how to weight N scale tank cars without destroying them in the process. Now I find that they are weighted and slightly heavier than NMRA standards (most of mine were between 1.1 and 1.2 oz.) 

This is good thing, for me, as I hate railcar wobble. There is nothing that breaks my suspension of belief on a model railroad more than seeing cars wobble over points or uneven track.

Set up correctly, these tank cars will not be prone to wobbling or derailing when under the push - their weight makes them as heavy as most of the 50' boxcars and hoppers I've weighted to NMRA standards.

Out of the box, all ran oh-so-smoothly.

I know people have their favourite manufacturers and there is often debate on FB and forums about which is best, but I'm just happy to have received excellent rolling stock from Atlas that is truly ready-to-run.

Older Releases: GK tank cars will be right at home on the Sandersville MRR

But, after ordering new, I did some eBay searching to try and find some older kaolin tank cars and found a couple of 'runner packs' made up by Costa's Train Connection. I got excellent service from this vendor as there was an eBay glitch with a payment and he was patient and understanding - highly recommended.

Older Releases: Today, ECC is long gone but their leased cars will still make a welcome addition, as will the older SHPX car.

Today I received my assortment of older Atlas tanks cars. The lettering and detail is just as good on these older models, and there were various couplers including Rapidos and Accumates.

Older Releases: Not sure if Engelhard or Fairport cars ever make it to Sandersville, but they're kaolin tank cars which is good enough for me, as is the additional Thiele car.

Anyhoo, as 'operations' on this MRR revolve around semi-permanent consists of 3 - 4 cars, this is great progress for making SAN MRR look like SAN RR and is pretty much my planned fleet of tank cars done. Loving this hobby!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Roundhouse N Scale Boxcars (Retro Release Review)

Some old Roundhouse 50' boxcars assem bled and ready to go. A few years back I was fortunate enough to buy the Roundhouse run of Sanders...