Thursday, March 16, 2023

It Lives... Again - From DC to DCC

A mock up of the new layout using SCARM and PowerPoint.

Its been two years since I did anything on the Sandersville/Tennille layout. Life it seems had other plans, with 3 moves in this time caused by legislative changes to home owning and banks reacting, resulting in a totally messed up rental market and moving target for mortgage deposits. But with this latest move came a garage which will be used for storage and (now) for the MRR.

So, realising it'll be another temporary set up, it got me thinking and some large changes are in store.

More confusing than algebra. My DC and blocks are going. 

I looked at my carefully crafted blocks of DC awesomeness and the Atlas controllers that controlled just a couple of simple loops and couldn't remember what switch did what. If I'm having this problem now, I can't imagine what it will be like with the full layout. 

Cab control seemed like the way to go when I started, but it all seems too complicated and 'clever' and its being ditched for DCC (I did make a printed template letting me know what switch does what, but still...). I've made this decision while most track is temporary or easily 're-blocked' and after hours of research, will be going with a Digitrax system.

The double loops were fun... for about five minutes. 

Next, while it seemed like the most awesome thing to do, the double loops are also going. I'm liking the idea of remotely realistic operations and the inner loop is meant to be the AD track for Tennille. Also, a train could make it around the loop in less than a minute.

So, the loop ends are going and some temporary wings will be added to stretch out the main line. Once we move to a house we own, the temporary wings can be replaced/modified as space allows to extend the main loop as long as it needs. If I get my head around DCC, the loop will probably turn into a point-to-point representing Macon and Savannah.

But with some new locos, custom decals, and rolling stock ordered (subjects for a different post), its a matter of waiting till we move and starting the new and improved Sandersville/Tennille.



 














No comments:

Post a Comment

Roundhouse N Scale Boxcars (Retro Release Review)

Some old Roundhouse 50' boxcars assem bled and ready to go. A few years back I was fortunate enough to buy the Roundhouse run of Sanders...